Child Support

Child Support

Child Support Lawyer in Richmond & Sugar Land TX

Van Slyke & Kestler Law Firm, we assist our clients with child support issues as well as any other matters related to family law, including divorce, child custody, visitation rights, property division and more. Serving parents of Richmond, Sugar Land and Fort Bend County, TX, our attorneys will fight for the financial support your child needs and deserves.

Child support is based upon the Child Support Guidelines set forth by the Texas Legislature. The amount of child support to be paid is based on the adjusted gross income of the paying parent. The court will normally order the parent who does not have primary custody to pay child support to the other parent monthly.

How to Calculate Net Income

The amount of child support the noncustodial parent needs to pay is determined by their adjusted net income. After determining the total annual income, parents required to pay child support are allowed to deduct social security taxes, union dues, health insurance payments for the children, and federal income tax to obtain his or her adjusted net income.

The state requires the noncustodial parent to pay a percentage of his or her monthly net income toward child support. Several factors are used to calculate the amount of child support, including the noncustodial parent’s gross income and the number of children. If there are any other factors that may influence the amount of child support, Lester Van Slyke Jr. and Michelle R. Kestler have the skills to recognize these factors and point them out in court.

Child Support Payment Details

In Texas, the paying parent’s employer withholds child support funds and forwards it to the state’s child support enforcement division or a local sector to be sent to the other parent. If the noncustodial parent is self-employed, then he or she is responsible for paying the funds to the other parent. By using the government agency for child support payments, there are clean payment records on file, which can be helpful if legal action is required.

The noncustodial parent will pay child support until the child turns 18 years old. In some cases, the noncustodial parent may be required by the court to continue providing financial assistance until the child graduates from high school as long as the child is actively enrolled in classes. If the child becomes married, enlists in the armed forces or obtains legal emancipation, the noncustodial parent may be approved to stop paying child support.

Child Support Order Details

Requests for child support are typically created as a component of a divorce or paternity action. To begin the request, the divorce attorney will likely file a petition that includes a request for child support.

If you need a trusted attorney to advise you regarding child support, Lester Van Slyke, Jr. and Michelle R. Kestler are willing to sit down with you and explain the legal procedures. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.